Thursday, February 27, 2014

February Finish




 This is a comfort quilt made for our dear friend Jeannette after her policeman husband was killed. His death was in September, 2011.


Larry, Jerry and I sat several evenings and cut apart Jesse's shirts so they could be useable for sewing. Jeanette had asked for her 2 daughter's quilts to be completed for Christmas that year, and somehow even with a full time work schedule, and Larry being hospitalized that holiday, the goal was accomplished.





 
Jeannette's quilt has truly been a challenge; I wanted to make it something special for her. You can read more about this quilt here.
This is an absolute favorite finish, I think because of the reason it was created, and for the artistic requirements to complete it.

 






There was no pattern. I used random placing, and made additional blocks and pieces to pull it together. I wasn't sure how it would look, 


and started with big 4 patch blocks and the few 9 patches. 

I knew I wanted to use the pockets*, and so the need for keeping them whole motivated the star blocks. 


 
I had really intended to complete the quilting before now, but all in all, I am most happy with it's finish. It was a challenge, and stretched my creativity. For that I am grateful, and humbled.







This is my completion for February, and I'm Happy!!






 



 the quilting on the back shows where the pockets are :-}
The binding was made from four different shirts, two are from the youngest daughter's blue and yellow quilt.










*Jesse's heart was right there under those pockets once, and it's a place she can put her hand to remember that his heart is still with her here.















"Oh give thanks unto the LORD, for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever. " Psalm 107:1

23 comments:

  1. Memory quilts are the best type of quilt. A beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful and very creative quilt. How nice it will be to have that special remembrance of her loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You do such amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. The label is heartwarming and perfect. This quilt came out so well, Pokey. It's really really well done. So very creative and just every aspect speaks of love - even the binding and I love that, too. Congratulations and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly beautiful and I bet it will give great comfort to the recipient as well as you the wonderful creator. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a touching quilt! It is beautiful and will provide great comfort for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly unique and full of love! You did a beautiful thing for your friend's memories and heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Pokey - I am unable to read this post to the end - my eyes and heart are full of tears!!! Thank you for doing this very special quilt for his family. The pockets are really special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt that will always be cherished. Great idea and placement of the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful February finish Pokey - and with wonderful memories sewn into every stitch too. You should be so proud of this finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made with love, can't do any better then that. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such an incredibly sweet post. It's a beautiful quilt and your love shows through it in ever stitch. It will be such a comfort for her. Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorrow does not last forever, but memories do... so does love. I am sure she will wrap herself in this beautiful quilt, made with love and memories of him. Beautiful work Pokey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a touching remembrance for her. What a nice thing to do for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a special quilt and a very special reason to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did such a beautiful job putting this special quilt together, Pokey! Love that you incorporated the pockets like that. What comfort this quilt will no doubt bring to your friend Jeanette.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a very personal and lovely quilt you have made, Pokey. I am sure your friend will be overjoyed with the quilt and the love you put into it..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I sure this will always be treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so special! You are a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so touched by your post, I can only imagine how Jeannette feels when seeing this amazing work of art or touching it! This was inspired work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. God bless you for that touching gift to the young widow.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for taking time to peek in! If you say hi, I do my best to send back the love :-}pokey