Sunday, March 8, 2015

Quilt Finishes, and My Larry ~

I haven't shared these finishes on the blog, but I'm still quilting!

This is the quilt made from Lydia and Jeff's clothes;actually from the scraps. Lydia has sewn several shirts for him, with her a dress to match. I still do not have a finished pic, but it is bound, washed, crinkly, and they are enjoying it. I used Jenny Doan's Disappearing Hourglass pattern.

 


This was the quilt I worked on at Papa's this summer. He had just purchased a featherweight, and I had brought 2 1/2" squares from home. Little Julia helped me with planning what color went where, it became "our project" for the time she was there, so naturally, it became a gift at Christmas.




 




This was the quilt along Silly, Chilly Snowmen, Quilt Doodle Designs by Cindy. It was on the frame on Christmas Day, but I did finish for January! One of my additions was the snowflakes.


I cut paper snowflakes, traced onto the paper of Heat and Bond, and then cut them out. they are raw edge applique. We liked their twinkle so much that I made them fall onto the tree scene below. I also added the checkerboard border, red and white and blue happiness :-}



 I quilted different texture stitches on the faces, click to enlarge

 The candies have a swirl quilted on the "peppermint pinwheel"

blue and white pokeydot binding :-}


Here are pictures of Larry and his Papa while Gil was with us at Christmas.

Larry trying to do a "selfie", lol, Papa got the idea to smile, Larry's wondering if the picture is centered...that is when I took the camera ~
 

 At church on Sunday Morning December 28th, sporting their new shirt and ties ~
 This is Larry's new visa photo in the Philippines. He's lost about 48 pounds, needing to regain strength before the doctors will allow him to return home. God is so good to us! Pastor Nable of Bethany Baptist Church in Makita, Manilla has put him in the missionary quarters of the church. The church secretary and others are seeing to his needs, including the young man Larry has nicknamed "Saint John" that is ministering to his food, meds, and daily changing the surgery dressings, going with him to appointments, so many daily helps.
The rest of our church team has returned home, but Larry needs to stay until 4 weeks has passed from the major surgery, for better recovery. We are praying John will be his travel companion home. His sweet Auntie Nonnette is here in our church, and would so love him to come! 
So, I'm sending long distance hugs to my sweet guy ~

Friends, please forgive me for not answering each comment personally! We still appreciate your love and prayers, I asked Larry to read them so he knew he was not alone in the daily challenges, thank you!
:-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-:  :-: :-: 

These are the most recent (today) finishes, both are for customers, and both are charity quilts. I mounted them together since they were both smaller. I'm hoping to get the binding on the watercolor purple quilt before tomorrow, so I guess I getter get going!






 (I've always wanted to do this, but really struggle with color value)
   Hurray for two more finishes!
"Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto Him be glory..."
Ephesians 3:20,21a



13 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to tell you how much I love the new business cards (fresh start) he made. I'm so glad to hand them out. They look so sharp! Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pokey - I'm so glad to hear Larry is on the mend... prayers still headed your way! I'd wondered if all was ok when I hadn't seen any blog posting. I love all of your finishes - especially all of the additions to Chilly Snowman!(it was a fun one to do, wasn't it?) And the disappearing hourglass has been on my list of blocks to do, and now that I've seen yours, it's moved up the list! PS, it doesnt look like you are value challenged :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry's looking good. Prayers for a speedy recovery. It's okay if you don't reply to this post. Just know that I am thinking of you and your family. LOVE the project you did with Julia! The textured snowman faces look great. I really like how you did orange peel quilting around the squares too. Keep on quiltin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the disappearing hourglass quilt! I've just made two little candle mats using that pattern and it was so easy! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that larry is improving and you can count the days until his return. Your quilt finishes are lovely. That first one if my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to finally hear from you again. Glad Larry is doing much better. Hope those weeks go by quickly. Always nice to lose weight but not a fun way to do it! (As if there ever was a fun way to lose weight!) Love, love, love the Disappearing Hourglass. I have always wanted to make one and yours just gives me incentive to actually do it now. The quilt with Julia is adorable! I have lots and lots of 2 1/2 inch squares cut out and I'm making scrappy 9 patches from them to put in a quilt. So much fun to use up scraps! Your snowman quilt is so cute. Love all the wonderful quilting too. Larry's selfie with Papa is cute. I have never been able to get a good one of myself. Guess my arm needs to be longer. Good to hear from you and see that things are going better with Larry now. My prayers will continue for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that Larry is doing better. Praying for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad for a good report and your finishes are gorgeous! I like those snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was glad to see the update on Larry and hear he's doing well. I pray you can be reunited in peace and will both be safe while apart. God grant you both the grace you need for this time!

    Your quilts are looking good. Lots of work put in on them. :-) The Disappearing Hourglass looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to read that there is a lot of support for Larry and that he is being looked after well. I do hope the time flies by and that he is home as soon as is possible.
    It looks like you have not be wasting time with all the finishes you have to show. This looks like a great way to keep busy while you have to wait.
    Best wishes to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear Larry is being well cared for as he recovers. Nice projects! It won't be long until he is home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to hear Larry is home and recovering - I was thinking about you 2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Disappearing ?/ Pinwheel?? It's on my "Sooon to-do" list. 8-))) I'm so glad I stopped by today. 8-))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pokey I'm so sorry to read about Larry but also glad he is being well cared for and will hopefully be home soon. I don't comment much, but I do stop here and read what you are up to. Blessings to you as you wait for Larry and to him for a full, speedy recovery. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for taking time to peek in! If you say hi, I do my best to send back the love :-}pokey